Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Ive got a brake light problem on my 06 xc70. light above

Customer Question

Ive got a brake light problem on my 06 xc70. light above back door works but not the side lights. fuse and bulbs are fine.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. This is likely a problem with the Rear Electronic Module, or REM, which is what sends the power signal to the brake lights. The power signal to the two outer lights is separate from the one to the center brake light. To verify this, you will need to first check for power to both bulbs. Power comes to the taillight assembly via a yellow wire. If there is no power, you will need to check for power coming out of the REM at connector B, terminal 3. If there is no power, the REM is faulty and will need replacement. The REM is located behind the access panel on the left rear of the cargo area.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

There are two 32-pin connectors, A and B. B is the one closest to the rear of the vehicle.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up to see if you had any other questions about this. Let me know. If not, please remember to click a rating for my service. You can always follow up at any time.