Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

2002 Volvo s60, left rear wheel locked up.

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to help with your question today. If the wheel is locked up, this can be one of two things. First, and most likely, would be the parking brake shoes came apart. The parking brake shoes are similar to drum brakes. They are located under the rotor. What happens frequently is the shoe material comes off and lodges between the backing and the rotor. If this happens, the shoes will need to be replaced. To access the shoes, you will need to remove the rotor. The other possibility is a seized brake caliper. This is much less common of a failure. To check this, simply use a pair of channel locks to try to compress the inner brake pad and piston into the caliper. If the piston does not compress, the caliper is seized and will need replacement.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Give those a check and let me know if you have any other questions. When you're all set, please remember to click a rating for my service. You can always follow up at any time. Thanks and good luck!

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I see you have had a chance to view the information but have not followed up to indicate a need for additional service and have not provided a rating. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, please remember to provide a rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy,It sounds like you know your stuff. However, your response has been of no use to me. A mechanic has it now.Enjoy the day,Mike
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry it is of no use. May I ask why? If it is simply something you are unable to repair on your own, I have no way of knowing that and I have supplied the service needed (answering the question), so not providing a rating is pretty unfair to me.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Rating does not change the amount charged. It simply allows a small portion of that to be shared with me as compensation for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is in the shop and so far we have only found a faulty fuel pump. No word on the locked wheel. I couldn't wait on the answer and had to have it towed. Thank you anyway, at least for nowMike
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
If it has a bad fuel pump, sounds like it had to be towed anyway. That would be unrelated to the locked wheel.
Since this question remains open despite my answer, I have to reply in order to be able to help customers willing to compensate me for my time.