Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

I thought I had solved the problem but the check engine

Customer Question

I thought I had solved the problem but the check engine light keeps returning after about 100 miles.Things I have done are as follows for my XC90 T6 AWD; Replaced the vapor leak detection pump with a Bosch clone. Removed charcoal canister checking for
leaks or loose connections Replaced vapor line running from air cleaner by the fuel neck with new hose. Put clamps on all connections. Put in a new ground wire that was on the fuel neck filler spout . Replaced gas cap with an autozone brand not Volvo original.There
is another small purge valve up front by the radiator could that be the problem? When it says no flow does that mean something is blocked? Reason I put a new gas cap was I was getting a message that said my fuel filler cap was loose which I checked and it
was not.Any help or leads in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Edit / Delete
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. What code are you getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PO455 Gross leak no flow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I had solved the problem but the check engine light keeps returning after about 100 miles.Things I have done are as follows for my XC90 T6 AWD;Replaced the vapor leak detection pump with a Bosch clone.Removed charcoal canister checking for leaks or loose connectionsReplaced vapor line running from air cleaner by the fuel neck with new hose.Put clamps on all connections.Put in a new ground wire that was on the fuel neck filler spout .Replaced gas cap with an autozone brand not Volvo original.There is another small purge valve up front by the radiator could that be the problem? When it says no flow does that mean something is blocked? Reason I put a new gas cap was I was getting a message that said my fuel filler cap was loose which I checked and it was not.Any help or leads in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this will need to be taken to a Volvo dealership. This could simply be a software issue. They had problems with the ECM software incorrectly identifying a leak.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Once the correct ECM software is installed or verified, a leak test can be run with the dealer computer. If there is a leak, the evaporative emissions system will need to be smoke tested for leaks. I will say that I would recommend against a non-Volvo fuel cap. I have seen them leak or not vent correctly.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

An incorrect leak detection pump can also be problematic.