Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 volvo s60 2.4 litter non turbo Hesitation on throttle.

Customer Question

2004 volvo s60 2.4 litter non turbo
Hesitation on throttle. Very random hesitation no pattern at all. No CEL
No codes. Looked for fuel filter i think it is in the tank.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.

Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.

I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.

If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still need help thanks

This hesitation is it effecting all gears when throttle is applied or only when leaving a red light?

Can you or have you tried cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Response great i will give u a A rating no problem. As fare as MAF just took it out and apart little bit a black eather carbon or dirt. As fare as the TB will the gasket get messed up when i take thTB off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the TB off no problem gasket is still good. When uou say clean the TB what should i take apart. Little bit of carbon on the back side of the butter fly. Im affraid to use carb cleaner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As fare as the hesitation if i barely give it gas it dosent hesitate at all runs perfect. If i try to accelerator quickly it stombles a liitle.

I always clean the throttle body plate and bore while mounted and open using brake cleaner and a tooth brush. I use the same spray on the MAF sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got every thing back together no improvement. Could it be the gas peddle it self sense it is wireless not mechanical?

I would expect to see codes and lights on warning you if it were the throttle pedal, though we can test it if you have a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a code reader. I read if you unplug the MAF while the car was running it would kill the motor. All it did when i unpluged it was idel rough for 2 seconds then smoothed out.

When you unplug the MAF it can stall the engine. When the PCM is not getting an accurate sensor signal, it uses defaults in its place. So in some cases the default running strategy is close to the actual reading so there is not much effect.

A code reader can not check the readings from sensor inputs, which we would need to do to test the throttle pedal.