Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Volvo XC90 2.5T: 05 xc90 fuel pressure drops, engine loses

Customer Question

05 xc90 fuel pressure drops, engine loses power and eventually shuts off
So far new fuel pump, new pressure sensor, new fuel pump module (at right rear wheel well ), all wires look good, all plug pins clean no corrosion
Codes keep coming back
2900 290D 212C 21EC 1210 310C 311C
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
I need full description how codes displays with text like fault signal missing low high etc all text for each code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2900 FUEL PRESSURE
290D FUEL PRESSURE
212C LONG-TERM FUEL TRIM, BANK 1
21EC LONG-TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 1
1210 MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) SENSOR
310C MISFIRE, AT LEAST ONE CYLINDER
311C MISFIRE CYLINDER 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was built in 11/2004 and the 10th digit on the VIN # ***** *****
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
It looks you using non volvo scanner sometimes it can be wrong codes you fixing and when you use VOLVO scanner it calls for other part !it can software also fault re flashing ecm would be first start . If fuel pressure is good with gauge than you have new fuel pump volvo and new volvo fuel pressure Regulator and no leaks visual it should hold pressure with gauge . If it drops a lot it can bad fuel pump check valve again on new or leaking. Injectors ! Also pull each cool down the rubber part look for cracks if you see hair line crack replace ignition coil. Also you can move injector and coil to see if misfire moves .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We haven't been working on this car for few days just to cool down a lil because we got to a dead end.
there is nothing that we can check based in what you told me in your answer, we have a brand new fuel pump in it which
replaced another new fuel pump that was installed at an other shop, so I couldn't believe there were 2 brand new faulty
fuel pumps, now the fuel pressure sensor is brand new from a Volvo dealer.
I spoke to the service manager over the phone, like always he wasn't very helpful but at least he answered couple of my questions like based on that I have a code for the MAFS if it will participate in adjusting the fuel pressure at all and his answer was yes and he says that he sales a bunch of them and that they even stock them for this reason.
When I was reading Ondemand Pro, it says that only in years 2007 and up the MAFS participates in adjusting the fuel pressure that's why I pretty much put this away.
So my next move will be getting a new MAFS and replace it to see if any changes
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help ?