Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Volvo S80: I have a 2002 S80 and suddenly the check engine

Customer Question

I have a 2002 S80 and suddenly the check engine light came on and it went from a smooth ride to acting like it had a miss similar to a vacuum line coming loose. The car is maintained well and have had no issues prior. The one thing different is filled up the windshield reservoir which unknowingly had a leak in it. I have let it sit for 36 hrs then started it up and no change. Where di I start?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Does the check engine light ever flash off/on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
This most likely means you have a failed ignition coil which is about a $250 job at a shop. You can have diagnostic codes checked at your local parts store for free and it should specify which cylinder is misfiring. Then you can swap coil on that cylinder with another cylinder to see if misfire follows coil, if so replace. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes will it harm anything if I drive it 30 miles to the nearest parts store?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It should be fine as long as it seems to run semi decent. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.