Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo S80 3.2: Charging failurel light comes on and go's off

Customer Question

Charging failurel light comes on and go's off what causes this to happen? Had battery and alternator checked and they check out fine.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. The charging system failure light can only be caused when the alternator is not charging. If the light is not on, the alternator will check out fine. I have seen quite a few of alternators on those engines start having intermittent problems that eventually turned permanent. When replacing the alternator, an inspection of the voltage regulator usually reveals a sticking spring causing excessive wear to the brushes. I would suspect this to be your issue. The regulator can be replaced separately as long as it hasn't damaged the alternator yet. It would need to be removed and inspected to tell for sure though.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions about this? I see you have viewed the information but the question remains open.