Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Volvo XC70 3.2: Volvo XC-70: I have been getting a "check

Customer Question

Volvo XC-70: I have been getting a "check engine" light periodically and sometimes it's coupled with a "charging system failure, urgent service" message. Neither one stays on consistently and I've taken the car to two different Volvo dealers - both have run the engine diagnostics - but neither light/message was active when the car was dropped off - and they 'found nothing wrong' - but said the problem was most likely related to the radiator anti-tamper sensor, which is linked to the check engine light and the charging system message. One service tech said I could continue to drive the car without causing any actual or further damage if I just 'ignored' the warning lights/messages. How important/necessary is it to replace the sensor. (BTW, the tech said 6 months ago, Volvo changed their policy and made it possible to replace the sensor without replacing the entire radiator. Can you confirm this?)
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
You can have bad voltage regulator on alternator they go bad and act like that . As far radiator temper device volvo came out with software modification by updating ecm
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
And total can software called . You will do software upgrade first and if that don't help you replace radiator. The repair kit is not yet for sale due to removal proccces and radiator damages you best in case you need to replace anti temper device. After your software have been change and still problem then replace new radiator . But check f software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand the answer. Can I continue to drive the car as it is? Can I replace just the sensor if that is the problem or do I have to replace the whole radiator? I can get a software update, but what if that doesn't solve the problem?
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
You can't just do a sensor hole radiator must be replaced . But volvo came with software to fix that problem only if software fails and don't fix issue you repair replace radiator . You can drive car it will not hurt it wil just give dash warnings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If only the sensor is bad, is it OK to drive the car?
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
You can drive the car in worst case when it gore bad it can intermittent stop charging voltage at alternator But you can't drive it