Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of self employed vehicle diagnostic & repair
9261905

Volvo S60: My s_ 60 makes a clicking sound when I turn the

Customer Question

My s_ 60 makes a clicking sound when I turn the key in the ignition. It has gone from only doing this occasionally to just sbout every time. It is an 2009 and the battery is only five months old. I did the old pull the cable off pf the battery post and the car continued to run so we believe the alternator is okay. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you.With this issue, the clicking - usually a rapid type clicking which can be fast or slow - usually its a starter motor fault.I wold suggest to have the wiring checked though first - checking the condition of the wire going down to the starter motor - inc the integrity of the connections to the starter motor. Also, check the main earth cable from the battery to the body and body to transmission...Obviously any issues should be addressed and if that fixes it thats great. If not or if nothing is found, the starter motor is suspect and should be removed for test / repair / replacement.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..-~~~ Meantime ----- Please do click on the Exc / Ok ratings for me at this time.. - Thank you in advance for that -... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out --Best Rgds, MIKE.