sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Volvo S40 2.4I: ,I have a Volvo S40 204.5 model. I has

Customer Question

I have a Volvo S40 204.5 model. I has been making an engine noise when it is in drive and I am stopped. It goes away when I accelerate. It is only in drive and is fairly loud in the car. Any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things that could be making noise under these conditions. It's possible that you could be a hearing noise from a cracked flexplate or internal in the engine but it could also be something vibrating. Anything connected to the engine such as a/c lines, fuel lines, etc contacting the body or other stationary components will transmit noise and vibration and cause noise. You may also have a motor mount issue, a broken or worn motor mount could be transmitting excessive vibration from the engine or allowing components to touch that shouldn't.
Can you hear the noise under the hood?