Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo XC90: , I was out of town and the alternator in

Customer Question

Hello, I was out of town and the alternator in my 07 XC90 V8 went bad. I had to go to a import garage because thier was no dealer near. They put in a Bosch AL0821X. Eventhough they alterneter was charging the battery light stayed on. Now the dealer says it can only take an OEM alternator. Can the XC90 V8 take an aftermarket alternator?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question today. Unfortunately, the XC90 V8 is very sensitive to having the correct alternator. I have seen several aftermarket ones cause the problem you are experiencing.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
The alternator communicates with the CEM (Central Electronic Module) via LIN communication. This is how the alternator is controlled. Most aftermarket ones do not properly communicate, which can cause improper charging system operation.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions about this? Please remember to rate my service when you are all set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe Bosch makes the oem alternator. Is there a bulletin from Volvo regarding this? The original question: Can the XC90 V8 take an aftermarket alternator?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Just because the one bought at an auto parts store is made by Bosch and the one from Volvo is made by Bosch does not mean they are exactly the same. There may be an aftermarket one out there that works, but I have not seen it yet. I have replaced many with Volvo alternators and never had an issue. I have also replaced several aftermarket ones that had this same issue.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
There is no bulletin about this.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any other questions. When you're all set, please remember to rate my service.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions? I see you have viewed the information but the question remains open. Let me know if I can help.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I see you have viewed my latest post but have not indicated a need for further assistance and the question remains open. Did you have any other questions? If not, please remember to rate my service. Rating does not change the amount charged. It simply allows a small portion of it to go toward compensating me for my time. Thank you.