Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Volvo xc70: 2002 Volvo xc70 turbo. recently upon start up

Customer Question

2002 Volvo xc70 turbo. recently upon start up 1 or 2 "dies," with varying rough idle. Once driving no issues at all. Today, several dies on cold start up and very very rough idle. Once driving 85% ok with the exception of rougher idle at stop. I understand that the fuel pressure sensor is a common issue? Mine isn't located on the fuel rail like many have described...
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If it runs well when warmed up and this issue only occurs when cold I would have the engine coolant temp sensor checked to see if it is reading and sending correct engine coolant temp signals.I have seen faulty engine coolant temp sensors cause this fault before and had to replace the sensor for this fault here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, it did pique my interest when at tempature it began to run near 100%. Next question, the temp sensor is located right above the thermostat housing correct? Since you've worked on this stuff extensively do you loosen the pwr. str. Pump to get at the bottom torx? If not what combo do you use? I was using a 1/4 universal joint with a small torx bit in a shallow socket but the angle was too great and it hit on the back of the pump. In addition are you using a crows foot for the sender? Just seems to be a fair amount of angle and the sender is pretty thin where you bite into it.... Thanks. Mike
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Below are the instructions on how to replace this sensor.Copy and paste the link into a new web page or web tab to view.
Engine temperature sensor
Removal
Engine temperature sensor, 5-cylinder
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kt8h9cyl1g17uzt/e-07-09.gif?dl=0
- Jack up the car.
- Remove protection cover from under engine.
- Drain the coolant as described in Replacing radiator/charge air cooler (CAC) See: Intercooler > Removal and Replacement.
- Lower the car.
- Release coolant hose from thermostat housing using pliers.
- Remove thermostat housing.
- Remove sensor.
Engine temperature sensor, 6-cylinder
https://www.dropbox.com/s/btslb34ccg8nps7/ec-07-09.gif?dl=0
- Jack up the car.
- Drain the coolant as described in Radiator / charge air cooler (CAC), replacement .
- Lower the car.
- Loosen oil reservoir for servo pump as described in.
- Remove coolant reservoir and put it to one side.
- Remove screws and outer/upper timing-gear casing.
- Remove screws and wire channel.
- Disconnect connector.
- Remove 4 screws and thermostat housing.
- Remove sensor and wires.
Installation
Engine temperature sensor, 6-cylinder
- Install thermostat housing sensor.
- Position wires in slot on thermostat housing.
Note! The white marks should be positioned in lower opening of slot, from underneath.
- Position gasket on thermostat housing correctly and install thermostat housing using two of the screws.
- Position thermostat housing correctly and tighten the four screws.
- Position wire channel correctly and position wire in channel.
- Tighten screw on wire channel.
- Connect the connector.
- Install outer/upper timing-gear casing.
- Install coolant reservoir.
- Install oil reservoir for servo pump as described in.
Follow-on work, 6-cylinder
- Fill up coolant.
- Warm the engine until the thermostat opens.
Switch engine off and check the level. Re-fill if necessary.
- Check for leaks.
- Check in VIDA vehicle communication (read-out of parameter values), for current engine system, that the engine temperature shown appears correct.
Engine temperature sensor, 5-cylinder
Install in reverse order.
Follow-on work, 5-cylinder
- Fill up coolant.
- Check for leaks.
I don't recall myself the best procedure on how it is replaced but these instructions should help here.
Thanks Pete