sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Volvo V70 X/C AWD: Are the Strut and spring assembly the same

Customer Question

Are the Strut and spring assembly the same or different on the 2001 and 2002 v70 xc.
I had them replaced on my 2002. now my front end sits lower, and was told the alignment bolts not long enough to bring it into spec. they think the replacement parts are from 2001.
How can I tell for sure if they are the right set? what is the worst case scenario if they are wrong and what are the options?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I've checked the part numbers for the front springs and struts and they are the same between 2001 and 2002 vehicles. That isn't to say the struts or springs aren't causing the issue though. The springs and design of the struts and mounts are what set ride height. If ride height has changed as a result of replacing them then there is definitely a difference between the old and new parts. Usually the ride is a bit higher after replacing springs because of weakening of the old ones.
If factory parts were used I wouldn't expect an issue but if aftermarket struts and springs were used I wouldn't be surprised you having these issues due to inconsistencies and quality issues that come with them.
The only options would be to see if you can have these parts warrantied or replace them with a different brand. I'd recommend factory parts if possible.