Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Volvo S60: I just replaced the rotors and pads, I'm using ceramic

Customer Question

I just replaced the rotors and pads, I'm using ceramic pads and when I'm at 70 miles per hour and I apply the brakes there is thumping feeling
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the ceramic pads usually have to be bedded in quite carefully, if you check the information that they were sent with you will probably find that they recommend a series of stops gradually increasing speed and pedal pressure if this is all OK then its well worth double checking the that the pads are in square and true and that the suspension joints are all in good conditionCheck for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.If there's play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?