Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Volvo XC90 2.5T: Recently my son and I tried to install and

Customer Question

Recently my son and I tried to install and aftermarket stereo. We cut the harness and discovered one wire going into the radio was a fiber optic. Now allot of the vehicles options do not work such as sunroof, turn signal, driver side window, windshield washer fluid, high beams, etc. Took to dealership and they seem to think we needed a 3200 fix and whole new wiring harness through vehicle. Please advise
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Cutting the harness was the wrong thing to do. Fiber optic cables are not easily spliced once cut or broken.

You probably will need some not-cheap repair services. I presume that you can splice common wires yourself, and that is why you cut the harness? but, you will need a specialist to
1. prepare the fiber-optic ends, both of them.
2. splice the two prepared ends.

This is specialist work... even I don't really know the details, but it's picky work. It must be done right.

If the dealership asking for a chunk of money is the option you prefer, by all means. (But there is no option in warranty, since you cut the cable yourself.)

I'm sorry, but there is no better to be said for this case than that much. If you have any further queries about it, or would like to have the opinion of a different Expert (without any additional charge to you), let me know, please. Thanks.