Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Volvo S40: I have a 2001 S40 Left Hand Drive with power door

Customer Question

I have a 2001 S40 Left Hand Drive with power door locks and power windows.
The rear Left Lock Actuator does not push the lock up enough to fully unlock the door. Locking the door works fine.
How do I replace or repair the lock actuator? I opened the door up already and got as far as unscrewing the locking mechanism but was unable to pull it out as there wasn't enough room to pull it out. The guides with the power windows were blocking the way. Also I had to bend the locking cable from the actuator to separate it with the rest of the mechanism. I am sure there is a better way to take this apart without damaging/bending it.
So I screwed everything back up the way it was. However the exterior door handle no longer works as the handle is no longer connected to the locking mechanism.
My second question is that is there a way to simply connect the exterior door handle back to the locking mechanism without taking it all apart again?
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please include pics/diagrams to help with following your expert response.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here. My name is ***** ***** I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic. I'm going to try to answer your question.you must take door panel a part and check those levers that they move free and adjust correct there is no good info to show you . But I work. On other web pages and I have saved link with pictures where I have posted it don't let me post here but here is link this faster
http://www.volvohowto.com/how-to-replace-the-door-locking-motor-mechanism-on-1996-2004-volvo-s40-and-v40/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Enes,I looked at the volvohowto.com website however this is for the front door. The problem I am trying to fix is the rear door.Do you have any expert info for getting to the rear door actuator? and how to reconnect the exterior door handle so that it starts working again to open the door from outside?Thanks!
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any good pictures for rear doors sorry I can give you refund
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Enes,I can follow instructions so even if you have good instructions I may be able to follow them. If you can include the diagrams from the Volvo Service Software that would be very helpful as well.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
here is info upload and save to your pc please rate answer positive if you can please thanks
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kn5yrm3djx5cy86/door_lock_s40__2001.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Enes,Thanks for providing me this info. I will work on the door tomorrow and get back to you if I run into any issues.BTW the document did not provide any info about reconnecting the actuator and lock mechanism back to the exterior door handle without taking everything apart. Can you please also provide me a document for this? I am sure there must be an easy way to do this for people who wish to install aftermarket chrome door handle etc.Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
There is no easy way all comes a part