Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Volvo s40: I have a 2003 volvo s40 and the ac blows hot air

Customer Question

I have a 2003 volvo s40 and the ac blows hot air at an idle and cold air under load or while driving down the freeway
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the low pressure side and it reads within spec
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Ok, low pressure is only half the picture in diagnostics of ac. What is the high side pressure reading?
Is the cooling engine fans running with the ac on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have the reading for the high side. The engine fan is engaging on and off on its own with no issues.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Ok, it is either the compressor is weak or restriction in the condenser. This is where having the high pressure makes for instant correct diagnosis.
With the engine idling and ac on, have someone sit in the vehicle and monitor the coldness of the ac. While they do that, you take a garden hose and spray the condenser. If the ac gets colder, you have a restriction in the condenser and will need to replace it.
If no difference, then it is the compressor
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The air did not really get cooler. So sounds like it must be the compressor. Are there any special tools required to change the compressor out? I have a strong mechanical back ground.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI, I have attached directions, but no special tools for actual compressor replacement. Once installed, it does require an ac vacuum pump to vacuum down the system for 1/2 hour. Sometimes you can rent one from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, otherwise you would need to have a shop do this part. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks