Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Volvo v40: 2000 v40 check engine lite flashing shift arrow.

Customer Question

2000 v40 check engine lite flashing shift arrow. One shop replaced ABS module. One shop replaced dash. Codes are p1618 and p0500
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused on what specifically you need our help with; can you clarify whether you're just seeking an educated guess on what could be wrong, or are you looking for technical guidance on how to fix the issue yourself (must have tools and skills)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to fix this V40. Thats why I am here.
OK.Let's start with the first code, P0500/ECM6F:DTC P0500/ECM-6F is stored if the engine speed (RPM) exceeds 2000 RPM, the load signal is above 800 mg/str and the vehicle speed signal is missing for more than 10 seconds.Possible causes are: Open circuit in the signal circuit Short circuit to ground in the signal circuit Short circuit to supply voltage in the signal circuit Contact resistance and oxidation.I'll be more than happy to guide you through the diagnosis procedures for this particular code, but you'll need a scan tool capable of retrieving codes from both the ABS and powertrain control (PCM) modules, as well as a digital multimeter to perform the diagnostic tests.Regarding P1618, it is a generic code that is stored when another module "sees" a problem and "tells" the main computer to turn the check engine light on - in your particular case, the ABS module is also not "seeing" a vehicle speed signal.Once the vehicle speed signal is restored, both P0500 and P1618 codes can be cleared. To start the diagnosis, you'll need to plug in the scan tool and retrieve whatever codes are stored in the ABS module's memory (in contrast, P0500 and P1618 are stored in the PCM's memory). Once we have those code numbers, we'll be able to focus on whatever it is that is causing the missing speed signal; be it either a failed sensor or a bad connection/wire. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE OTHER CODE IS 1F TCM-232
Actually, TCM-232 just means the transmission control module is also not getting a vehicle speed signal. If your scan tool is not similar in capabilities to Volvo's VIDA/VADIS, then it would not be able to comunicate with either the ABS or DSA module.The vehicle speed signal comes from all 4 wheel speed sensors to the ABS module. The ABS module averages those signals and sends the result as a valid speed to the DSA module, PCM and TCM.In most cases, the culprit is a bad ABS module; however, bad wheel sensors, connectors or wiring can also cause loss of vehicle speed signal. Best Regards.