Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

1996 Volvo 850 when car starts all the dashboard lights stay

Customer Question

1996 Volvo 850 when car starts all the dashboard lights stay on and the alternator is not charging. I wiggled the Ignition Switch and still the lights stay on.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Even though you wiggled the ignition switch itself this can still be caused by a fault with the electronic ignition switch needing replaced.I would have the signals tested from the ignition switch to see if this is the cause here for sure.I have seen this switch short out/fail internally before and cause this fault here and had to replace it.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete I changed the Ignition Switch and it still does the same thing all the dashboard lights stay on. What should I try next. Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Looking at the diagram info on this model here the alternator receives the charge signal from the instrument cluster itself.If the instrument cluster has an internal fault causing the lights to stay on in it this can also disable the charging of the alternator.With the ignition switch being o.k. the instrument cluster would be the next component I would check to see if it is the cause,make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels as well.
Thanks Pete