Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Volvo 850: My 1996 volvo 850 won't start. If I jump the battery

Customer Question

My 1996 volvo 850 won't start. If I jump the battery it will start and allow me to drive but within a few hours it won't start. I replaced the battery in February, the timing belt in 2012, the alternator in 2007, spark plugs, air flow sensor and dome light switch in October 2014 and January 2015 respectively. I am at my wits end I've spent 3000 trying to fix this problem and I'm still having issues, i have no problem for a few weeks and then bam no start! !
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I'd 1st check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.
if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help ?