Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Volvo V70 SC: I have a 1998 V70 XC. The check engine light

I have a 1998 V70 XC. The check engine light is on most al the time, sometimes flashing.
I have had lots of work done on this car - it runs fine. Will the computer disable the start function if it does not like that I am ignoring the lights?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.
Welcome!
The computer (PCM) turns on the check engine light (CEL) as its way of telling you that a fault(s) with the drive train has been detected. Every time that happens, the PCM will also store the corresponding Data Trouble Code (DTC) in its memory that can later be retrieved using a scan tool - the flashing CEL, in particular, means that there is a fault that can cause immediate damage to the catalytic converter.
You could go to any of the major parts retailers and borrow a code reader that would allow you to retrieve whatever codes are stored in your PCM's memory. Once we know what those codes are we could tell you what the issues are and how to solve them.
Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this issue. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have borrowed a code reader and this particular one says no codes. The shop code reader usually says misfire in one or another cylinder and sometimes other things. Often these errors have not occurred to the best of my knowledge. I need to know if the computer will disable the car is I choose to ignore it.

I'm sorry you feel I've given you poor service.

Whether you choose to ignore the codes or not is irrelevant to the computer, as it is not in its programming to do so. However, many factors, including a bad computer, will certainly prevent the engine from running. Also, the engine will not start if the anti-theft system is active.

Is your engine not starting? If so, would you like me to help you diagnose the cause of the no start?

Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European