Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo XC60 3.2: Hello. I want to replace the rear pads and

Hello. I want to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 2010 Volvo XC60. I know engaging the parking brake will lock the caliper to the "full out" position. Can I avoid this by not engaging the parking brake? Is this an easy replacement?

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

You cannot replace the rear pads without putting the rear calipers in "service mode" as the caliper is electric, and the piston has been turned in to compensate for wear of the rear pads.

Edward :

So in other words, your new pads are much thicker than your old pads, therefore, the caliper has been adjusted to compensate for this wear.

Edward :

Not engaging the parking brake does not turn the piston out far enough to allow you to replace the pads.

Edward :

So you will need an advance type scanner, or Volvo's VIDA system, to put the calipers in "service mode" and that retracts the pistons.

Customer:

So, I cannot retract the pistons manually? What would I need to get this "scanner" or VIDA system to put the calipers in "service mode".

Edward :

I feel there is a way to retract them, by putting a 9 volt battery to the motor inside the caliper, however, This is not recommended by Volvo, so I don't recommend it either.

Edward :

Volvo's VIDA system is Volvo's computer interface that lets you read codes, and has all the diagnostic information in it. Which is the only scan tool that I have used to retract the calipers, However, I know that Snap on MODIS scanner will retract them, but they are professional expensive scan tools. I do not believe you will find a generic OBD II type code reader that will be capable of this.

Edward :

I have also replaced quite a few calipers from independent shops not knowing how to retract them. as they put a C clamp on them, try to retract them like old ones and wind up breaking them.

Customer:

I bought the parts. So what you are saying is that other shops break calipers since they do not know how to retract the pistons?

Edward :

yes, some independents just don't know how to retract them and think they are stuck, and wind up breaking them. So, be sure that doesn't happen.

Edward :

Without Volvo's Vida system or a proper scan tool, I really don't recommend you attempting this job. These calipers are expensive, and it's really discouraging that Volvo designed it that way. But that is the way they did it.

Customer:

Man, It's coming to the point where we can't even replace brake pads anymore. Sad. Thanks for the input! Well worth the $18.

Edward :

I couldn't agree more. Thank you.

Edward :

you can do the fronts. fyi.

Edward :

but not the rears.

Customer:

Thanks again.

Edward :

Absolutely, Thank you.