Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

This same vehicle (2001 Volvo S80 2.8L L6] has a P1238 code.

This same vehicle (2001 Volvo S80 2.8L L6] has a P1238 code. PLEASE tell me that by fixing the 02 sensor, it will fix this code!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do all I can to help.

Customer:

Thanks, Eddie. I appreciate and need all the help I can get.

Edward :

alright, Give me just a few minutes here to look at some things on my end.

Customer:

Ok

Edward :

This is turbo correct?

Customer:

yes

Edward :

Alright, code P1238 is

p1238 = Turbocharger (TC) Control System Flow Fault

Condition

Edward :

I don't believe changing any O2 sensor will fix this fault.

Edward :

However, there is a TCV valve. (Turbo Control Valve) near the bottom of the air cleaner, it has 3 vacuum lines going to it, I have replaced a few of them before for this code.

Customer:

I was hoping that constrained airflow through the catalytic converter would cause the tC Control System to work harder and therefore trip a fault code.

Edward :

Also, you want to check ALL of your turbo hoses, make sure none of them have any holes in them. Does it smoke black if you floor it? or sound like boost pressure is leaking when you kick it? like a rubber or plastic turbo hose pipe has a hole in it?

Edward :

Is the cat original?

Customer:

Cat is original.

Edward :

alright, I have seen more non turbo cats fail than turbo cats for some reason. I think they are cheaper made.

Edward :

non turbo s80 cats have a pretty high failure rate, then when you kick it, car falls on it's face.

Customer:

I have needed an O2 sensor for months/years. It has been skipping for quite a while. Now it won't run at all. It starts and stutters while idled. As soon as you engage it (either 'D' or 'R'), it cuts off.

Edward :

And the only code that is stored is a P1238?

Customer:

No. I also have a P0050 - H02 Sensor. I (sorta) know what that one is.

Customer:

Those are the only 2 codes I have.

Edward :

Alright, That exhaust would have to be completely clogged to cause the engine not to idle. That would be rare.

Customer:

The O2 sensor?

Edward :

Need to check fuel pressure. If the pump is original, I would suspect low to zero fuel pressure. You might see if you can make it run spraying carb cleaner into the air box. while somebody gets inside and trys to rev it up.

Edward :

If you give it alternative fuel source and it runs better, you would know fuel delivery is the problem.

Customer:

So what would I do to fix that?

Edward :

I would install a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail, and check fuel pressure, should have around 40 psi with key on engine off. If not, I would replace the fuel filter first, and if that didn't bring the pressure up, it will need a fuel pump in the tank, But call your local dealer first and give them your VIN because some of these pumps had recalls on them. If yours is under recall, it won't cost you anything.

Edward :

Give them your VIN and tell them to run your vehicle for recalls. it's the slow time of year so they are looking for any work they can get!

Edward :

If the fuel pressure is low, The not running problem isn't an o2 sensor or a P1238 turbo fault in my opinion. This problem is either low fuel pressure, or an ETM malfunction.

Customer:

Awesome! Thanks for your help. I'll check on that.

Edward :

Thank you.

Edward :

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks.

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.