Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

Volvo xc70: I have a 2006 xc70 with 83000 miles, and when I

I have a 2006 xc70 with 83000 miles, and when I start the car there is a noise that sounds like a squeeke. It goes away after the car starts, the belt is in great shape, the timing belt is also in great shape. Any ideas? The ac compressor is apparently seized due to rust. But it happens whether the ac is on or not.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need

Ok, any help would be appreciated

Enes :

the noise can be if you have bad clutch on ac compressor they can do that noise also

Enes :

but most common is belt tenssioner for alternator belt it comes and goes is very common for belt tenssioner roller to fail to comes as one unit belt tenssioner and roller

Enes :

belt is recomend at same time also if you do new tenssioner

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wouldn't the tensioner squeak all the time? This is just at startup

No on that model it makes most noise when is cold at start up and as it heats up goes away
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I agree but the noise goes away immediately after starting it not when its warm? Still thinking its the tensioner?

That is so to say most common for that noise you describe ! But make sure also is not the compressor for ac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will try replacing the tensioner and let you know. Thanks for the info.

You can maybe record noise it would and send me , also if you can take second my boss looks for feedback from you to me if you can quick just give some fedback would be great I keep question open even if you do feedback now you can still talk to later on just reply back
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ill send you a sound clip

Ok. You can send it on And upload there file and send me web link it gives you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Replaced the tensioner pulley over the weekend and it seemed to have solved the issue.

Ok thank you for update