Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo S80: I need some help with a timing belt on a 2002 2.9L

I need some help with a timing belt on a 2002 2.9L S80. How is the control module removed?

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

Are you speaking of the ECM on the passenger side fender well?

Edward :

If so, there is a special tool you need to get it out of the box.

Edward :

It looks like this.

Edward :

However, you can get the timing belt off and on without removing the ECM.

Edward :

Engine Control Module that is. It doesn't have to come out to have good access.

Customer:

Does that need to be removed to get to change the timing belt?

Edward :

No you can get to it by leaving it in.

Edward :

I never pull the ECM out doing a timing belt. There is enough room there.

Customer:

OK I'm going by Mitchell's instructions.

Edward :

I understand. It can stay in.

Edward :

Before removing the belt, Put both cams at 12 oclock position, you will see the mark there.

Edward :

Then you will see a very faint mark on the crank gear , has a small notch at the end of the tooth closest to the engine. it will line up with a mark on the engine.

Edward :

I like lining all those up before I take the belt off. The exhaust cam gear will try to move on you as soon as you slip the belt off, . so if you can lock the gears together with a pair of visegrips on the front. That is what I do.

Edward :

spring pressure will try to move the exhaust cam as soon as you pull the belt off, so lock the gears together with some visegrips if you can. The crank shouldn't move. but eyeball the mark so you know where it is before you pull the belt off.

Customer:

Ok. Does the coolant reservoir stay in?

Edward :

I remove it, and the p/s resevoir. it can stay together, just bungie cord it up out of the way .

Customer:

Do you disconnect the hose from the reservoir that goes toward the firewall? Thanks for the help. Working on it tonight and will rate you when I'm finished.

Edward :

I only take off the little hose to the coolant tank. and put a screw in it, because it doesn't allow you to pull it up out of the way if you don't, and then flop the coolant tank over out of the way. The clamp is a little tricky, I usually just throw them away and put a screw type clamp on it. if somebody already hasn't done that yet.

Edward :

I also remove that top engine mount brace, that runs from strut tower to strut tower, pop the top engine mount bolt out. it's 13 and 15 mm I believe. and 2 13mm's on each side of the strut tower, get that whole brace out of your way.

Customer:

OK - I'm going to keep working and come back if I get stuck again. Thanks again.

Edward :

Absolutely, I'll check back in an hour or so. Good luck!

Edward :

Hello, Were you able to get the belt on and off?

Customer:

Sorry for the delay. On removing the vibration damper, do just the 4 13 mm bolts get removed, or the 30 mm as well? And is a balancer / steering wheel puller necessary or does it pull right off?

Edward :

just the 4 13's.

Edward :

and it will fall off,

Edward :

leave the 30mm alone. the 4 13's get the pulley off, then you have to take those 2 10mm's out of the front of the "snow guard" that kind of protects the belt from the front of the engine.

Edward :

those 2 10mm get that little aluminum cover out of the way, you'll see it when the pulleys off.

Edward :

Any luck with that?

Customer:

Yeah I got it off. So the 30 mm stays put.

Customer:

?

Edward :

yes, I leave it on. you should be able to get the pulley off by hand.

Edward :

you get that little guard off the front, 2 10mm from the front.

Customer:

yeah I had to do that to see the pulley

Edward :

good enough.

Edward :

You should be on the home stretch now then.

Edward :

Volvo does recommend replacing the tensioner at every timing belt interval fyi.

Edward :

Thank you. Have a great weekend.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With your help, I think its almost wrapped up. Thanks again!

You got it, Have a great weekend. Thank you for the rating sir.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you possibly post an illustration of the snow guard? This isn't the same as the lower timing cover is it?

Also I can't seem to remove the old timing belt without removing the 30 mm nut and the rest of the harmonic balancer assembly. I'm replacing the water pump as well if that makes a difference.

The belt will fit between the balancer and the engine, but it is tight. After lining up the cams at 12 o clock position and locking the gears together, I cut the old belt off, then pull it out through the front near the balancer, just a shortcut I use, if you have compressed air and a 1/2 inch impact, removing the rest of balancer isn't difficult. I would prob. Go ahead and take it off if I wasn't working on a lift, the snow guard is just the lower part of the timing cover in the front, I had 5 cyl. On my brain, but I see your working on a 6 cyl.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a trick to getting the water pump out? I've got it stuck near the bottom timing cover. Where do you go with it to remove it? I appreciate the help. This is a lot different than the Toyotas I've done.

Hey, sorry I was out of town yesterday. There is a pipe with an Oring. But usually water pump doesn't stick to it. Get all the bolts out, (look at your new one for reference). And tap it with a hammer. When its loose, turn the pump blades via the gear teeth, and it will come out.