Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo XC90 T6: If my PCV system needs service but I have to

If my PCV system needs service but I have to drive the car a little bit first, would it help if I pull the dipstick out just a bit to relieve pressure?

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

If the PCV system is building up internal pressure, then yes, pull the dipstick up slightly out of the dipstick tube and that will relieve some of the crankcase pressure.

Edward :

Pull it up about 1/4 inch out of the top of the tube, then get somebody inside to rev the engine, while you make sure no oil comes out. If it's really stopped up, you may get some oil out of the top of the tube.

Edward :

Be sure you use RECIRC on the A/C control panel if you do that. Because you may notice some crankcase/oil type order if you use FRESH air out the vents.

Customer:

Good to know!

Edward :

Yes, If it's not leaking any oil out of the tube when somebody revs it up, then it's not completely stopped up.

Customer:

If i get oil coming out of the tube, is that a more serious situation where I shouldn't run the car at all?

Edward :

You can drive it a little longer. But you don't wanna go too long, because if it's stopped up, it can cause oil leaks.

Edward :

correct, but I've only seen a couple do that. It shouldn't come out much if any.

Edward :

but thats something you want to check before you take off down the road on a 100 mile trip.

Customer:

excellent information! thank you very much

Edward :

Absolutely thank you. Let me know if you have any further questions.