Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo S 80 Turbo: Hi Guys, I have a 2002 S 80 Turbo...sometimes

Customer Question

Hi Guys, I have a 2002 S 80 Turbo...sometimes the car has a high pitched whistling sound...Like a tea pot whistling on the stove as it starts to boil ..It is intermittent comes from the engine comportment and can go for for weeks without doing it, then all of a sudden it will kick in to "Tea Pot" mode for as long as 15 minuets.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is Eddie and I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

I have seen this a few times on this model, The crankcase ventilation system will need to be serviced.

Edward :

Next time it makes this noise, pull the oil dipstick up out of the tube, or loosen the oil cap.

Edward :

If the noise goes away, then the crankcase system needs to be serviced.

Edward :

Is your vehicle 2002? in the year it says 2008. ??

Customer :

Ok. iI was planning to have my guys service the car .....

Customer :

No it is a 2002

Edward :

alright,

Edward :

I would not doubt that the crankcase ventilation system (also known as the flame box) is stopped up then.

Edward :

When this noise occurs, pull the dipstick up out of the dipstick tube, and see if that makes the noise change any.

Customer :

Also the Gas door is not locking ...can it be a fuse or would it be a solenoid that has failed

Edward :

It's the motor most likely.

Edward :

unplug it, and hook a 12 volt test light up to the 2 wires in the connector, and get somebody to push the gas door and then lock the car and see if it blinks.

Edward :

Motors fail on those regularly.

Customer :

the little motor behind the gas filler compartment

Customer :

I see on previous problems with this you guys mentioned how to get to that compartment...so i take out the i

Edward :

Sorry, temporarily disconnected from Live Chat there.

Edward :

Yes, take the interior panel off from the passenger side.

Customer :

quarter panel or the trunk interior side panel and unscrew the screws from the gas filler compartment.. then test the motor..What I am looking for is the best way to get to the motor to test it.

Edward :

and there are a couple of screws that hold the motor in from the front, you'll see them when you look inside the lock motor under the fuel lid door.

Edward :

unplug the motor, just 2 wires going to it.

Edward :

Hook a 12 volt test light between the 2 pins on the connector, and get someone to work the fuel lid door switch.

Edward :

see if it blinks.

Edward :

It most likely will, but the motor is failed internally.

Edward :

Volvo is proud of them too, about 100$ worth.

Customer :

Ok. so if the motor is kaput I can order one and install it myself? I looked up the part it is about $95 without labor..

Edward :

yes, it's not difficult,

Edward :

a couple of screws from the front under the gas door, and pulling that trunk interior panel out to grab the motor.

Customer :

Thank you ..

Edward :

Absolutely, thank you.

Edward :

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer :

Ok going back to the whistle problem sound from the crankcase...Is it a filter or just dirty.. The car is also lagging for a second or two when i star off from a stand still ...

Edward :

That's the screw location.

Edward :

Is the check engine light on when driving it now?

Customer :

No ...but it has not been serviced in over a year with 116,700 miles on it

Edward :

OK, if the check engine light isn't on, then most likely there are no codes stored. which is good. The flame box is most likely stopped up causing that whistling noise.

Edward :

That diagram number 1 is what is probably stopped up.

Edward :

It's under the intake manifold in the front on passenger side of the engine.

Customer :

I see...should I mention that to my Volvo mechanic when it goes in for a service or would it be part of a service call do you think..They are Volvo people but not from a dealership..

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.