Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

Volvo XC70: Is it worth putting in a new oil pan in 2006 volvo

Is it worth putting in a new oil pan in 2006 volvo xc70 with 175,000 miles?
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Its worth doing if the vehicle has no other major issues. The job is about $850 total including the part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the oil pan made of? Should mile have anything to with the car is only 6 years old

What makes you think the oil pan itself is bad? Does it have a hole in it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is starting to rust.

Is it leaking oil?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, good. If the pan is only rusty and not leaking, you do not have to replace it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it leaks , what kinda damage does it do?

If it leaks real bad, it can ruin the engine if it runs out of oil and no one checks it. You should for now on check the oil at least once every 500 miles. If you see leaks on the ground then check it more often and have the leaks fixed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car is only 6 years old- should the oil pan - rust in that time. I have my oil changed every 3000 miles. Mileage should have any thing to do with if correct?

Mileage wont affect the oil pan. Surface rust is normal on the pan. The only time rust on the pan is an issue is if it rusted so bad it leaks oil. I've never seen one like yours rust so bad it leaked out the oil.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think I'm at the mileage time 175000, where big expenses are going to care to occur?

As long as you do the scheduled maintenance as outlined in your owners manual, you shouldn't have any major repairs. However its real hard to tell the overall condition from here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there history of the avg mileage for the lifetime of the vehicle? 90% is highway driving.

Most last well above 200K miles. However once you get into the high 200's, the chance for a major expense is pretty high. Highway miles are not as hard on the vehicle but it won't last forever.