Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo V70: My 2003 Volvo V70 base model has the check engine

Customer Question

My 2003 Volvo V70 base model has the check engine light on. I believe the following symptoms are related to the check engine light:
1 - while idling, the car begins to shake as the engine idle speed fluctuates.
2 - the car will randomly turn off in the middle of slowing down to stop or turn. This problem is mitigated by putting the car in neutral while slowing down.
3 - The air conditioning will intermittently stop working and then start again. The environmental control panel will continue to light up as different A/C or heating options are tried.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

Let me first ask, have you scanned the computer for codes yet? If so, which codes are stored?

JACUSTOMER-v06sya0t- :

Yes, we scanned for codes. I don't remember the code numbers at the moment. I remember that they indicated that the electronic idle control might be the problem. Can I get the codes tonight and tell you what they are?

Edward :

Yes absolutely, If you don't have a scanner, places like Oreilly's advance auto. or Auto Zone will scan them for free. If you can get me the codes. It will be something like P1608 or P0305 etc. I will have clear picture of what is going on. Also, give them to me in order . First code read out first, etc.

JACUSTOMER-v06sya0t- :

OK. How do I get in touch with you?

Edward :

Just log back in and look at your questions tab, or history tab. and just type back in this same box and it will send me an alert when you respond.

JACUSTOMER-v06sya0t- :

OK. I'll do that.

Edward :

alright , sounds good. thank you.

Customer:

OBD2 codes in order:

Edward :

Hello, are you there?

Customer:

Yeah, sorry, the page decided to reload.

Customer:

OBD 2 codes:

Customer:

1 P2227 - Barometric Pressure CKT Range/Perf

Edward :

alright

Edward :

I understand

Customer:

2 P0506 - Idle Control System RPM Low

Edward :

These are in order correct?

Customer:

3 P0106 - MAP/Baro CKT Range/Perf

Customer:

yes

Customer:

4 P0101 - MAF or VAF A CKT Range/Perf

Customer:

These codes are exactly what the reader showed and in the order shown.

Edward :

Alright, thanks, let me research these , this is a non turbo V70 correct? 03?

Customer:

Correct.

Edward :

Alright, I will research this and respond asap. I don't want to keep you waiting, so if you want to check back in 1/2 an hour or so. I will respond ASAP. Thank you.

Customer:

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Edward :

alright, I'm looking now, sorry for the delay.

Edward :

Alright, it's likely the Mass Air Flow sensor is slightly out of range or needs cleaning.

Edward :

Here is what I would do first with these codes.

Edward :

Take loose both battery cables, for 5 minutes, then touch the bat. cables together away from the battery.

Edward :

for about 20 seconds. This wll discharge the capacitors in the modules and erase any codes unless they are hard faults.

Edward :

Then, I would pull the mass air flow sensor off the air cleaner and clean it with some mass air flow sensor cleaner.

Edward :

Reinstall it, clear all the codes and see if any codes come back. If you get this P2227 back, Then you will need to have the ECM software update performed. A Volvo dealer, (or a Volvo independent shop that has access to Volvo's server and can download software) will need to perform this update.

Edward :

Then clear all the codes after the software update. If you get this Baro code again, then You will most likely need another ECM, as the baro sensor is in the ECM and not external. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

What does ECM stand for?

Edward :

Engine Control Module.

Edward :

The baro sensor is inside it .

Edward :

BUT, that software update is suppose to loosen up the parameters a little and you won't get that P2227 anymore.

Customer:

Is it something I'm likely to be able to replace without specialized tools?

Edward :

Which component? The ECM ?

Customer:

Yes, the ECM.

Edward :

It is in a black plastic box on the passenger side fender well about 8 inches behind the headlight. just behind the washer fluid filler neck.

Edward :

You will have to seperate that box . it's a 3 piece box held together with clips. then you can get to the connector which SLIDES at the bottom, don't just pull the ecm out without sliding that connector. when you slide the connector it pushes the ECM up out of the connector.

Edward :

So yes, you can get it in and out without specialized tools. But you want to do this software update first.

Customer:

OK, I know what you're talking about.

Edward :

Software update first. will hopefully solve the problem.

Customer:

I'll definitely do the update first.

Edward :

You don't want to have to buy a new ECM.

Customer:

ballpark cost on the ECM?

Edward :

if you do, get it from Xemodex. Dealer will be ridiculous $

Edward :

Repair and return service from Xemodex. plug and play with latest software is 299$. Dealer for new ECM and software downloaded 1200.

Edward :

But , def. get the software update done first. that has fixed alot of them.

Customer:

Sounds great. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

Edward :

Alright, sounds good.

Edward :

I'm going to switch to Questions and Answers format.

Edward :

we can close this live chat , and then we can go back and forth on the Q and A.

Edward :

My live chat seems to have a bug today.

Edward :

So if you feel I've helped please rate my service positive. and you can always follow up with me on the live chat later on. for up to 30 days I believe.

Edward :

Does that sound good? I see your new and I just want to explain to you anything your not familiar with.

Customer:

Yeah, sounds good. I really appreciate your help.

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Carl, You can follow back up here with me if you need to.