Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

Volvo S-60: 2005 S-60 2.5T without geartronic. The shift button

Customer Question

2005 S-60 2.5T without geartronic. The shift button that hold the metal pin is broken and I am stuck in park. Is there anyway to shift into R or D? Trying to avoid having it picked up for repair
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do all I can to help.

Edward :

your 2005 S60 does NOT have a shiftlock override.

Edward :

unlike some older Volvo's unfortunately.

Edward :

Is it just the shifter handle that is broken? the button you press?

Customer:

The button with the metal pin

Edward :

right, you'll need a new shifter knob.

Customer:

OK, the piece that the pin connects to in the center of shifter just pulls straight up is this normal?

Edward :

you've got the shifter knob off of it?

Customer:

yes

Edward :

Can you crank the engine and let it idle, then push the rod down with a screwdriver or something? it does pull straight up, called the worm gear.

Edward :

your shifter button pushes it down, you'll just do it with something else.

Edward :

you can't get it out of park without the key on, at least your not suppose to. shitlock cable.

Customer:

Sure the engine starts, I will got give it a try

Edward :

OK, set the e brake before pushing the rod down.

Edward :

you push the rod down and you'll be able to pull it out of gear.

Customer:

OK, good news I can get it to shift with no problems by pulling up with worm gear to allow it to move past the detent.

Edward :

pull UP?

Customer:

yeah

Edward :

I thought the shifter knob pushed it DOWN. used to anyway.

Customer:

if I do nothing the shifter is locked and I pull it up or out and it shifts fine.

Edward :

no, on yours it may move it up. that sounds familiar.

Edward :

get a shifter knob for it. should be good to go.

Edward :

the knob fell out right? and a spring and a pin?

Customer:

so a new knob. Wish I could get the shift button that hold the pin since that is all that is wrong.

Customer:

did not see a spring other that the one on the button

Edward :

OK, does the rod spring down after you pick it up?

Edward :

downward tension on it?

Customer:

I lifted the button and pressed the pin in the mechanism to get it in to park then I pull the mecahnism out of the shift knob.

Customer:

no zero tension

Edward :

OK, the shifter knob itself has a spring it in it somewhere then to push the knob out after you push it in to get it out of park.

Edward :

I believe your shifter and linkage in the console is fine. and just the knob is the issue.

Customer:

That would be my guess

Customer:

Thanks

Edward :

check ebay on that shifter knob.

Edward :

Volvo is $$$

Customer:

ok

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.