Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo XC90 3.2: Turned on my 2006 XC90 and it started smoking

Turned on my 2006 XC90 and it started smoking from the passenger side under hood... turned it off. Then turned it back on about 20 minutes later, no smoke, but my air conditioning doesn't work now... what happened??

Edward Clayton :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward Clayton :

Did you hear a screeching noise at the time just before you saw smoke?

Edward Clayton :

I believe the A/C compressor has locked up, and smoked the drive belt.

Customer:

I didn't hear a screech.. the car (under the hood) sounded funny... a knocking noise maybe.. but def. no screeching

Customer:

A drive belt sounds better than a new compressor!!

Edward Clayton :

I understand, I may just need a belt, but, usually something breaks or locks up, that causes the smoke, and the no air, leads me to believe the compressor belt could be the culprit.

Edward Clayton :

Did you look under the hood to see if you see any belt fragments yet?

Edward Clayton :

Let me know what you see and if the A/C belt is shredded or not. I'll check back shortly, thank you!

Customer:

can't see any fragments under the hood.. it happened yesterday, I have drove it to a different location since then.. going back to location where it happened in a couple of hours, will see if there are any fragments lying on the pavement.

Edward Clayton :

alright, were you able to look at the drivebelt? Also, did the check engine light come on or any other warnings? Sorry for the delay, Nasty storm here knocked power out yesterday and just got it back now.