Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo XE90: Working on a 2005 Volvo XE90, trying to get the

Customer Question

Working on a 2005 Volvo XE90, trying to get the left front cv axle out. There is no nut on the end of the axle, rather a long bold. I undid the shaft from the transaxle but was nable to get the cv out of the spindle end. i tired hitting on the outer can and even prying the bes that I could on the can, but nothing worked. It looks like the wheel bearing assy is help on by for bolts, bt without removing the cv axle, thsoe bolts are un assessable. I am a mechanic and this has me baffled.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward Clayton :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. You took the center 14 mm bolt out of the end of the axle correct?

Edward Clayton :

The bolt holds the axle splines into the hub. Take the bolt out, and the end of the axle will push right out of the hub.

Customer:

Yes that is correct. I also tried to hit on the bolt a little to see if theaxle wold pop out. did not get too aggressive with it did not want to break anything else. i only need to replace the tone ring on the outer axle.

Edward Clayton :

right, It is possible the splines are rusted into the hub. But usually they come out fairly easy after you take the center bolt out.

Customer:

I was unable to get the axle to psh away from the splines. How agressive can i be with this?

Edward Clayton :

Spray it down with PB blaster or WD 40. into the splines. If you can find a longer bolt with the same thread pitch, screw it in, and hit the bolt head. You can hit it pretty hard. Your not going to hurt anything, But that center bolt isn't really long enough to do the trick, I would get a bolt that threaded all the way into the axle and then smack it.

Edward Clayton :

They usually come out fairly easy but I have seen a few stick, especially cars from up north, splines get rusted into the hub.

Customer:

Is it okay to push on the center of where the bolt goes, it seemed to be some type of bering and seal right there.

Customer:

I was unable to see any splines from the out side of the wheel, this is a setup that I have never seen before, I did try a longer bolt with an air hammer and it still did not budge. that is when i stopped to get more infor.

Edward Clayton :

yes, it should be fine. if you have a big center punch, you can try that as well. you can smack it pretty hard. It's the splines that are sticking in the hub. nothing else holds it in there except for the center bolt.

Customer:

Okay if this does not work and i end up breaking something else, I will track you down. (just kidding) Thanks for the info you have given me some good ideas.

Edward Clayton :

hehe, no problem, It is stuck in the splines, Do you have the new axle to look at?

Edward Clayton :

are you replacing the axle? is that why it's coming out?

Edward Clayton :

your replacing the abs ring correct?

Edward Clayton :

and you have it completely out of the transmission right?

Customer:

No, we only are replacing the tone ring, his has a crack in it and the dealer wanter close to $700 ot replace it. Our supplier did not have an axle to compare, this is why we were in the dark as to how to proceed.

Edward Clayton :

I understand. and the other end of the axle, (tranny end) it's completely out right?

Customer:

Yes, This was yesterday's project, had to put it all back together, the customer needed his car, will be back in the shop on Friday. this is when I will get to work on this beauty again.

Edward Clayton :

right, This is what the axle looks like when it's out, The center bolt is the only thing that hold the splines in the bearing hub.

Edward Clayton :

Full Size Image

Customer:

that is really helpful. On the very outer part of the spindle there does appear to be a bearing and seal. For I tried hitting with a drift on that section without the bolt, and it just did not seem like a wise idea. I will try a longer bolt and smack it harder then what i was doing beofre.

Edward Clayton :

OK, here is another better picture. those splines are what is holding you back. Thread another longer bolt in it or put a long good size punch in there till it bottoms out and start smacking.

Edward Clayton :

Full Size Image

Edward Clayton :

Never mind, the first picture is best.

Edward Clayton :

You get the idea of what it looks like though when it's out.

Edward Clayton :

There is a dust seal there but just kind of hangs out. It doesn't hold any grease in anything.

Customer:

I downloaded the first picture, and if I have more questions I will ask for you. Thanks for the info,you have been very helpful.

Edward Clayton :

Take the bolt out, spray it with PB blaster on the splines, and start hitting it, That's the only thing you can do. It will come out. Thank you.

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.