Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo S40 2.4I: 2007 Volvo S40 - will start 5/6 times in a

Customer Question

2007 Volvo S40 - will start 5/6 times in a row. Then will not start - does not turn. As if there is a bad battery but full power to car - all windows, radio, etc. The car will start again within 20 min to an hour. Took it to a shop who could not duplicate problem and all codes showed 'good'. Very frustrated, as it cost $75 for the shop to tell us they couldn't find a problem and really don't like the idea of spending $200+ to find out I have a $100 problem.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward Clayton :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward Clayton :

Let me first ask, do you get any message that says "Immobiliser" See Manual, or Start Prevented try again? Like it is a security issue?

Customer:

No. There are no error messages when this happens

Edward Clayton :

OK, How long does it take between occurences? Does the car act fine for weeks at a time and only does this intermittantly?

Edward Clayton :

5 to 6 in a row? you can duplicate this readily?

Customer:

It's been about a daily occurance since the first time it happened a week ago. If it starts the 1st time, then I can sit there and start it 10 more times in a row

Edward Clayton :

right, What I would like to happen, is someone attempt to start, hold the key in start position, and while holding the key in start, you wiggle the solenoid wire on the starter, or strike the starter with a hammer and long screwdriver, if the solenoid wire is corroded or loose connection (I've seen that before) just barely touching the wire would make the starter spring to live if someone was holding in start in the car. Also, if the starter motor is failing, striking with a hammer jars the brushes inside and it will usually crank then.

Edward Clayton :

Have you tried cranking in Neutral and Park? or is this manual trans.?

Customer:

It will start right up 1st attempt in the morning, can go a few stops - no problem and then it just won't start. We have tried neutral. Unfortunately - I had to leave the Volvo at the grocery store this afternoon. When I get to it this evening I will try that with the solenoid wire. Would the shop we originally went to have noticed the loose wire with there diagnostics?

Edward Clayton :

It's hard to say, they may not have checked that. If it starts for them everytime, they may have just said we couldn't duplicate it. And left it at that. It is very hard to figure out these problems when the are NOT acting up at the time. If you have a 12 volt test light, when the vehicle WONT start, pull the small wire off the starter solenoid, get someone inside to hold it in Start, and see if the solenoid wire as power on it, It should. If it doesn't, could have failed SCU (Start Control Unit) or starter relay.

Edward Clayton :

You have a power distribution box on drivers side fender well, with a starter relay in it, I'm thinking the rear window defrost relay may be the same part number. if it is, I'd swap it, with that relay, see if it still had that problem.

Edward Clayton :

Hold on and I'll get you a diagram.

Customer:

It is automatic - sorry just saw that question

Edward Clayton :

ok, so you've tried to crank it in neutral as well?

Customer:

Yes we have.

Edward Clayton :

rocked the shifter back and forth a few times.

Edward Clayton :

ok

Customer:

we tried to start it in neutrel - didn't really 'rock it'

Edward Clayton :

Full Size Image

Edward Clayton :

ok, most likely not the neutral safety switch then.

Edward Clayton :

Do you see that diagram?

Edward Clayton :

R13 is the starter relay in the power distribution box.

Customer:

I did. Thank you very much. It looks like my husband and I have a good place to start now.

Edward Clayton :

Mark the top of the relay in R13. swap it with another one.

Edward Clayton :

MARK it, so you know it's the suspect bad one.

Edward Clayton :

Try that, I believe you'll find your problem in the starter solenoid connection or the relay or motor itself.

Customer:

When you say motor - do you mean starter motor? Just want to make sure I understand :)

Edward Clayton :

yes, Starter motor itself.

Customer:

Great. Well I can't really move forward until I get the car back here. Thank you for your time and I will be marking 'excellent service'. - Amanda

Edward Clayton :

but check the relay and wire connection at the motor first, It's best when it WONT start, if you get in and hold in the start position, while someone else under the hood wiggles the wire at the starter motor. or bangs on the starter, or wiggle the relay in the power distribution box.

Edward Clayton :

Thank you, let me know if you want to ask anything else.

Customer:

I certainly will. Thank you

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.