Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

Volvo S60: My wife has been driving home in downpour rain with

My wife has been driving home in downpour rain with flooding the car stalled out and now it won't start.

Edward Clayton :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward Clayton :

Let me ask, does the engine turn over at all? it just cranks? or it won't even crank? thanks.

the engine cranks..sputters and keeps cranking

Eddie you there?

I'm getting an e-mail that you answered but I don't see it on chat?

what a rip-off

OK, Did she just happen to get gas that day by chance? Is this the first time this is happened? I had to switch from live chat to Q and A format, please do not rate yet if instructed to do so. My live feed wasn't updating properly.
Yes I am here. do you this?
Hey Carl, I am here, I could not get my live feed to update, so I switched to Q and A. do you see this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok she got gas just before

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My apologies Ed...didn't see the Q&A ...this system is a bit wierd

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ed...I'm going to ask again...please respond to the new will be the same question.

I understand , and I see your new. The Live Chat feature has been having some issues today. No problem, I will do all I can to help and you can change your rating if you wish later.

I would be very suspect about that fuel then if she just noticed it RIGHT AFTER getting gas. I have had another car come in in the last few days with water in the tank. We have had alot of rain here in the south east, and it is unfortunately turning into a more common problem. It seems very coincidental that the problem happened after this fuel was bought.

I would recommend first, some Gas Dry, to help dissipate any of the water.

If the tank isn't full, I would fill it with different gas from a different store now and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, then I would scan the computer for any codes if you have or have access to a scanner. It's possible a Mass Air Flow sensor or Fuel pump has failed, But I suspect the fuel first. Try that and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay great...I'll put in some gas dry...i put one bottle in should I use's about 3/4 full now

I'd put in 2. I hope it's not loaded with water. It'll have to be pumped out. You can do that with a fuel pressure gauge and and few 5 gallon buckets but you don't want to have to do that.

Grab another 5 gallon gas can and fill it with good gas from another source. and 2 bottles of gas dry. You might be able to run it out then. It might not run good, but when it got down to about a 1/2 tank, I would fill it back up again, the more you dilute it the better.

Give that a shot and let me know what happens.
If that does fix it, wherever she got that gas at. DO NOT go back! :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still wouldn't start....seems to by trying a bit more...but the battery is weak...have it on a charger now....I would imagine it will take a few times to get to the good fuel

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Scanned for codes...none. Changed fuel filter. still will not even sputter now.
That's interesting that it has no codes, get some carb cleaner, gas in a spray bottle, get somebody to crank it, and take the fresh air hose off the mass air flow sensor at the air filter box. Can you make it run by introducing a fuel source into the air intake? If so, it may not have any fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sprayed carb cleaner intermittently, coughed backfired started to run, kept it running eventually it ran on its on. Have it running now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just got a p2177 code too lean

OK, Is it running fairly well? can you drive it? Sorry for the delay, I was out of town today and just got back to the computer. My theory is it did have some water/fuel contamination, and you got it running long enough to get the fuel out of the filter and the lines and the fuel rail into some better gas.

Hey Carl, Wanted to follow up with you, Whats the latest on the Volvo?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Turns out it was contaminated fuel the dealer drained the tank free of charge.
Good job. Where did she get that gas at just wondering?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, ill stay clear, glad its resolved, if I may ask you reconsider your bad rating of my service since I was correct. I would appreciate it.
Thank you sir, we are here if you need us in the future.