Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo S80: 2002 volvo s80 reading codes p0607 and p0105- will

2002 volvo s80 reading codes p0607 and p0105- will start but will not run more than a second or two. Put new battery in yesterday did not help.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward Clayton :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward Clayton :

Let me first ask, is this car turbo or non turbo?

Customer:

Turbo

Edward Clayton :

ok, First of all, I would check all the turbo hoses, the plastic ones and the rubber one and from the intercooler. Make sure all the hoses do not have holes, and make sure the rubber isn't deteriorated and leaking. Your codes refer to an internal fault in the ECM. which is rare but I have replaced a couple of them before. If all the hoses look good, I would remove the ECM and inspect all the pins underneath for corrosion and remove and reinstall the ECM about 5 times to clean the connection on the bottom. If that did not fix it, I feel you will most likely have to replace the ECM itself.

Edward Clayton :

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Customer:

Where is the ecm?

Customer:

And the intercooler? I have no idea what I'm doing? This is my daughters car. I'm a nurse...have basic car knowledge that about it :-)

Edward Clayton :

Alright I understand, the ECM is in a cover under the hood. However, you will need an ECM removal tool specifically for Volvo's in order to get it out.

Edward Clayton :

The intercooler is a cooler for the turbo assembly. It is in the front of the car, There are large plastic air hoses that go to it.

Edward Clayton :

Make sure those hoses are indeed on the inlet and outlet of the inercooler.

Edward Clayton :

Because sometimes they can come off.

Edward Clayton :

under turbo boost.

Customer:

Is there anyway I can get to the ecm? I can't get the car to a dealer.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Not without the special tool unfortunately, you would have to disassemble the box the ECM and TCM are in, and it isn't user friendly. I can tell you where it is, but you have to get the tool to get it out, if you try to pull it out, you can damage the connector.

Here is the location of the ECM. Labeled Engine Control Module in this picture.
graphic
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
If you google (Volvo ECM removal Tool) you will see the long horse shoe looking tool I'm referring too. and some instructions for getting it out without it, but the tool is easier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So how will I know if it is the ecm? If I get it out and do what you said and it still doesn't work? How much are these things they sound expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to diagnosis the ecm trouble for sure? The car was running fine until the battery died. It will crank and start for a few seconds...then it acts like its not getting gas. Would the computer just stop working like that? Is there a way to reset the computer? And how likely is it that the ecm is ruined. I have been looking on line and purchasing one is unreal.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I understand, With your codes it points that direction, Let me ask, when you try to crank it, do you get a "Start Prevented" try again message or an Immobiliser message by chance.? Also, what kind of scanner is this? I've seen some cheaper OBD II scanners give weird codes before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what kind of reader it was. It was reading bout 1/4 tank of gas so I put more in it. It started and she was able to drive it. It was doing ok then it started missing again. She said it will set and idle now but when u try to drive it it dies. ???

We are not geting any messages.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
OK, I would check the fuel pressure as well, Those codes point to a failed processor or the problem could be intermittant depending on whether they were hard fault codes or memory codes. I would check fuel pressure, and check the ignition coils first. The ignition coil tubes are bad to crack going to the plugs, which can give misfires and hard starts.

I believe your problem is one of those three, If you check fuel pressure and it is within 40-50 psi of pressure at the fuel rail with key on engine off, we can rule out anything in the fuel pump circuit or the fuel pump itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do u think the computer needs to be reset since we replaced the battery? some one told me to put the battery cables together? Will that blow something up? Or clear it long enough to get to a dealer.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
That will not blow anything up, Take BOTH cables off the battery, and touch the cables together for about 15 seconds away from the battery, this will reset the modules, however, if it is a hard fault, the codes will come right back on. So it will not help if the vehicle has a hard fault. (Which in my opinion it does) But it might help if those codes are intermittant faults.
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.