Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo S40 2.4I: I replaced the alternator in my 2006 Volvo

Customer Question

I replaced the alternator in my 2006 Volvo S40 with a re-built alternator. The alternator generates power fine and the battery is holding its charge very well ( had both alternator and battery checked out) There is a message on the dashboard that appears about 7 to 10 seconds after you start up the car and a red warning light comes on and the battery light as well. Everything works fine but the volvo mechanic is not able to get rid of the message and warning lights. Any suggestions please?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward Clayton :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward Clayton :

Let me first ask, do you know what your voltage is at the battery while engine running? should be around 14.

Customer:

No I don't

Customer:

after the garage told me they are unable to get rid of the message and warning lights I went to Advance Autoparts and had both battery and alternator checked out and they both work fine according to the print out

Edward Clayton :

OK, The problem is the voltage regulator.

Edward Clayton :

The alternator itself is fine, and most likely charging fine.

Edward Clayton :

However, the voltage regulator when it acts up, sends a false signal to the instrument cluster.

Customer:

Where is the voltage regulator located and is that a part that can be replaced
Is the voltage regulatlor part of the alternator

Edward Clayton :

It's pretty common. You get a "Charging System Service" message.

Customer:

It says " urgent power system failure"

Edward Clayton :

right.

Edward Clayton :

Volvo does not offer it seperate.

Customer:

So you are telling me that it's part of the alternator and the light will not go away until I get another alternator, or can I take it out of the old one and install it in the re-built one?

Edward Clayton :

That is correct. The warning light will remain until another voltage regulator is installed.

Edward Clayton :

It is charging, it's just the instrument cluster doesn't think it is.

Customer:

One last question can I take the voltage regulator from the old one and put it in the re-built one?

Customer:

Is there a way to interupt the message without having to install a new voltage regulator

Edward Clayton :

Yes you can. and it should work fine then. How long ago did you replace the alternator with a rebuilt one? has it got a warranty? maybe get it covered. We've had mixed results with these aftermarket rebuilt alternators. Bout 25% of the time when using one, it will charge, but you get the message on the instrument cluster your having.

Edward Clayton :

"Is there a way to interupt the message without having to install a new voltage regulator"

Edward Clayton :

not that I know of. The electronics are pretty sensitive, and if the instrument cluster doesn't get the correct signal. It will throw the message.

Customer:

Ok thank you for your helpl

Edward Clayton :

absolutely. thank you.

Edward Clayton :

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Customer:

Had it rep;laced on MOndayd

Edward Clayton :

Should have at least a year warranty on it then.

Customer:

Is the voltage regulaltor that small little plastic part with the soft jelly in it when you open it up

Edward Clayton :

Number 3 in this picture.

Edward Clayton :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Is it number 3 on the chart

Edward Clayton :

Yes number 3 in that diagram.

Customer:

Sorry I got it thank you Eddie I am pleased with your answer

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.