hauto, Technician
Experience:  worked on volvo's in a volvo dealership for 5 years, factory trained, run own repair shop now.

Volvo XC90 T6: Re: 2004 XC90 (AWD/T6) Dealer reports that

Re: 2004 XC90 (AWD/T6)
Dealer reports that one tire replacement (same make/model/size) is not possible when tread wear exceeds 2/32"...meaning if one old tire has 8/32 and new tire has 11/32, then all 4 tires must be replaced.
My question is this: am I hearing a service department recommendation OR a factual reality from the manufacturer?
AND, is this issue about performance characteristics, or about irregular strain & wear in the drive train?
Thank you,

Thanks for using JA

You can replace one tire as long it's the same brand and model tire. the difference with tire brands is that they have different circumference even if they have the same size.

thread depth and wear isn't an issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to be sure, the manufacturer has no "tread depth criteria", right?

to be specific tires are no good at 2/32 of an inch, between 2/32 at 4/32 a replacement is recommended anything above that is a decent tire.