Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Volvo XC90: Volvo XC90 - reduced engine performance warning

Customer Question

Volvo XC90 - reduced engine performance warning and loss of power (limp mode) when cruise control re-activated. ETC changed (xemodex) which corrected erratic idle which started after the initial problem.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need .what fault codes do you get now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you referring to scanner codes?

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Yes for the reduce perfromace there codes stored on scanner if you read do you have it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With respect to the latest incidents, which occurred yesterday I have not had the car scanned again. The ETC was installed on Friday and although it initially didn't seem to correct the erratic idle it did so after some time with the car was running really well. Nothing came up on the scans prior to and subsequent to the installation. As I mentioned, the car was running extremely well until I attempted to re-engage the cruise. As I was already well into my trip, I did not attempt this until I was nearly at my destination which is about 750 km from my home. It did exactly the same thing. I was thinking about taking it in to a shop near where I currently am working but thought it might be best to provide them with some information. Hence the call to Justanswers.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you more but I need the error codes what triggering fault to tell you more those xemodex etm are not the best it can be problem with that so is imprts not to cheat and read codes with scanner when you get that engine reduce perfromace
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will see if I can get the car scanned and will get back to you.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

Just went to the shop but won't be able to get until Friday morning. They are extremely backed up. The weather has and continues to be extremely cold day time high is minus 25 Celsius today. Can we keep this open until then.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
If you can rate me positive for my reply today would be great . Just reply next week to me here again is fine
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience: 15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

If I close off today will that mean starting a new conversation and a new charge? I'm not quite sure how this works with payment.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
You for new question only we can talk about same question is one fee only no extra charge only whrn younass new question different problem talk to you tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

For the time being I will rate your answer as ok service. How do I continue the conversation with you once I have the car scanned?

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
FOLLOW UP HERE LIKE YOU DO NOW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

Picking up where we left off. I took the volvo in to a local shop where they performed a diagnostic scan.

Codes were: 6814 -control module internal malfunction

981A - ECM internal fault?Intermittent fault

1200 - Air leakage intake

PO Intake air temperature sensor

They indicated that they were unable to duplicate concern.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
I will take look
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

Waiting for your answer.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
I will go thru codes and reply to you you will get email
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
The codes point more to ecu the engine module but what I like you to do clear all codes and reset. The ecu than drive if you installed xemodex etm and did not reset ecu it can report false reading
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

Your answer is not clear. I will need a more detailed explanation. I have the car back. The shop I took it to cleared the codes. What do you mean about re-setting the ecu.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Reseting car computer after installing any new part is must so it can learn new part . Reset is done clear all codes with scanner than disconnect battery plus and minus Cabels and than tape both battery cable ends together for 30 min that is a reset for ecu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

Thanks for the info regarding the reset procedure.. As I mentioned previously the shop was unable to duplicate the problem and since I'll be away from my home for another few days (750 km) I'm somewhat reluctant about trying this until I get home. The shop recommended not using the cruise control. Does this make sense to you? Also, where is the ecu located and what it is involved in replacement i.e, labour and parts. Another thing that I forgot to mention and which the shop noticed is a problem with my signal lights which I was aware of and attribute to a faulty DIM ( unable to set clock) that I am intending to replace. Could this issue with the DIM be contributing to the current shut down problem? Also, I had forgotten that my horn was not working, which the shop rectified by replacing a blown fuse.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Ecu will cost you over 1000 is located under the hood next to washer solvent neck in black box . Dim problem you right you will need new or rebuilt dim can use a used dim . Do you know where to buy the dim ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

Not sure about your response about the DIM. Do you think that it might be causing or contributing to the problem that I am currently experiencing? What I know about the DIM is that Xemodex rebuilds these and sends them back for about $450.00. Cost is cheaper if you are a repair shop. . With this option re-programming is apparently not necessary. What would you recommend? Also, what do you think about waiting until I get home to do the ecu re-set? If necessary, does the ECU need to be installed by a dealer?

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
You can use xemodex for dim yes they ok for the dim . Ecu reset you can try first . If ecu needs to be replaced dealer only must install and program it !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

You have not answered the question regarding the faulty DIM. Again

do you think that the problem with the DIM is possibly causing the problem that we are attempting to diagnose and correct?

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
No dim is seperate problem and is not causing other problem .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Enes

Thanks. I will attempt to followup on your suggestion.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Ok