Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Volvo S80 T6: I have a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 with small oil leaks

I have a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 with small oil leaks coming somewhere near the bottom of the front engine. One shop said it needs replacing the o-ring in the dip stick area but it involves about 4 hours work. Another shop says the engine breather is blocked and it needs replacement and possibly also have to clean the engine sump. There is no smoke coming out from the dip stick opening when the dip stick is pulled out. Which one is correct and what is the solution?

Enes : Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need .
Enes : Engine breather PVC box will be correct repair first step . And if is plugged up to much you have to remove oil pan replace all oil pan seals inside oil pick up tube and clean all sludge to breather box from inside the oil pan to the breather box
Enes : .

Enes : .

Please remember to rate my answer.IF you feel the need to click either"Helped a little"or"I expected more"please STOP that is Negative
feedback to me. Reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does it need the parts replacement or it can just be cleaned and put back together. What is the best way of cleaning the parts? Approximately how hours work in involved to do this job?

You replace breather box don't reuse noth worth how much work is involved and all reset is o rings and gaskets labor to replace breather box is 3 hours intake manifold has to come out . Oil pan to remove and clean replace all seals 4hours This how it looks when is out this on five cylinder but same on 6 http://www.google.com/search?q=pcv+box+s80&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=pu9XUKfuOofm8gSV_IHwDA&biw=768&bih=928&sei=2u9XUIWpM4mG8QSUroDYDg#biv=i|18;d|Sz-CjcLVXxVVcM:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I also had a report from the mechanic that the engine dip stick seal is leaking. Could it be that is all that needs to be fixed? What is involved in fixing this leak?

I do not want to go through the expensive process of replacing the breather box if that is not the real cause of this small oil leaks.

Oil dipstick seal is just pulling tube replacing seal if is that leaking only than you replace that that takes around 20-25 min to replace and cost is under $100
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you mean just pulling the dip stick housing upwards and just replace the seal? Is, why would it take 2-25 minutes?

The cleaning and replacing seal removing the metal tube where the oil dipstick runs that seal on metal pipe where you insert the oil dipstick that is what repair shops will charge you to replace but that tube is only hold by one screw in place http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-s80-2-8-T6-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-Tube-GENUINE-new-/350527839762?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AS80&hash=item519d165e12&vxp=mtr
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Enes. That gives me better idea on what to do. So I think I will do it first before doing anything else. If it blows back oil because the breather is really blocked, then I'll do that next.

Yes try that that sounds as right approach . If you can rate give me positive feedback it would be great . Thanks
Follow up here