Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo C-70: 2005 C-70 SRS light in on. My mechanic says the

2005 C-70 SRS light in on. My mechanic says the code is for the driver side air curtain. Car has never been in an accident and is over warranty mileage. How do I find out potential problems without going to Volvo dealership?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. What is the code number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andy-

First of all codes were: 012C, 012B, 0128, E003, 004F. Then the codes were cleared and the car was driven- the only code that has come back on is the 004F. Car has never been in an accident.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Okay I am on lunch now but I will reference those when I get back. Did they do any diagnosis besides just reading and clearing the codes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not that I am aware of since all the sudden the lights just came on. Car has about 70K miles.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, well I may not have good news unfortunately.

That code indicates either a wiring problem between the SRS control module (under the center console) and the inflatable curtain airbag, or a fault in the airbag itself. It requires a special tool to check. The SRS control module continually checks the resistance of the airbag and sets this code if the resistance is too high. If the connectors are clean and tight, a special tool having the exact resistance of the airbag is connected in place of the airbag. If the code can then be cleared, you know the airbag is at fault. Measuring the resistance of the airbag with a meter will set it off, that it why this tool is used.

This isn't very common, but I have seen it on one C70 before.

Volvo has a new service program called Volvo Service for Life which gives customers up to one hour of diagnosis for free for any warning light. So you can actually have a dealership diagnose this with the proper tools for no charge.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Please remember to only rate the service when you are 100% satisfied you have received all the information you need. If you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not credited for my time for a negative rating. Keep in mind, the correct answer may not be good news, but the rating is for the service. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I receive credit for helping you. Even if you have a follow up question later, you can still come back to this question after you have rated the service, even though the instructions may say the question closes with positive feedback. Additionally, there have been bugs with the feedback system where some customers have been unable to leave feedback. If this happens to you, please reply here with the feedback you wish to leave so I can let customer service know and they can try to track down the bug causing this.

Thank you, Andy
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any other questions I can help you with?