Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo 850: my 1994 volvo shuts off while driving. all the

my 1994 volvo shuts off while driving. all the computer lights go on but the engine starts off. i turn off the engine and turn it back and then it is ok. it happens about once a week. thanks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. It restarts right away? Any recent service history, especially for this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i had a similar problem in 2000. i have moved. i am going to try to reach the mechanic that took care of it then. i know it was a problem with the computer

does it restart right away?. i have to turn it off an back on. sometimes it takes about half a minute to turn back on. sometime i can get it to start faster

thanks

jeremy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
second reply: i just called the garage from 9 years ago. he said it was a cam sensor then but obviously it could be a different problem now
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Jeremy.

The cam sensor on a 2000 is different than the one on your 850. The cam sensor is a common problem on the 850, but it would cause it not to start, as it is only used during cranking if I remember correctly.

It sounds like you most likely have a problem with the fuel pump relay. The relay can get hot while driving and cut off. They are very common. I would recommend checking yours and replacing if it is original no matter what. Even if it isn't the problem, it will be eventually.

The relay is located under the cover for the fuse panel at the base of the windshield. Remove the four torx 25 screws and remove the panel. The relay is red and has "103" on it. Remove it and check the date code stamped on it. If it is original, I would replace it. You can find the relay here

Do you know how to pull codes with the A/B box behind the passenger headlight?

Put the jumper lead in A2 with the key on and press the button for one second. The red light will flash a series of three digit codes, if stored. For example, flash, flash, pause, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, flash would be 2-1-4. Press the button after each code to go to the next one. Do the same on A6 and let me know what you find.