Brian
Brian, Mechanic
Experience:  20yrs working on volvo/saab
17530802

740 wagon: automatic..4th gear..transmission warning light..back down

my 91 740 wagon automatic sometimes will not shift into 4th gear. it goes through the other gears fine, and the transmission warning light does not come on. And sometimes it will drop back down into third at cruising speed when it should not, and then won't go back into 4th. This is an intermittant problem that has been going on for a while, but now it's been this way for about 2 days after many periods of use, so I've just quit driving it.

Brian :

welcome, My name isXXXXX will do My best to help you.Have you preformed any maintance on transmission like changing oil and filter?

Customer:

I inherited the car and have no idea when the fluid was changed. It is a XXXXX XXXXX color.

Brian :

should be a dark red color

Brian :

have you check the kick down cable?

Customer:

no, is it connected to the throttle linkage?

Brian :

yes just pull on it if it is stiff then this is your problem

Customer:

is it the cable that winds around a little round pully? or is it the cable that just goes straight in.

Brian :

the kickdown cable will go to the other side of engine and goes down behind engine. the other cable that goes into fire wall is throttle cable.

Customer:

Ok, I'll check it. what kind of fluid does it use? Is it dextron III ? can I just take it to a regular shop, or do I have to go to Volvo dealer for special VOLVO FLUID?

Brian :

dextron iii ok . a regular shop should be able to handle this

Customer:

ok, thanks. while we're chatting, is there anything else it could be, like a relay or something?

Brian :

relay will usually bring on arrow so I dont think it would be that. the only other thing would be I am sorry to say is internal fault in transmission but since this is intermitant it is unlikely

Customer:

Thanks Brian. I'll try the things we discussed. If I have any more questions, I'll get back to you later.

i was wondering how you made out?
Thanks
Brian
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The kick down cable is ok, I tried adjusting it to specs, but it did not do
any good. It's not stiff though. The transmision warning arrow does come on
intermittantly, but does not stay on.
I'm just going to take it in and have someone read the codes and see what's
wrong. The transmission fluid is dirty though, but there isn't much point
in changing it if the transmission is screwed up.
changing fluid and filter may help the transmission.