Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

Volvo S40 2.4I: my 2007 volvo s40 trunk wont unlock, I have

my 2007 volvo s40 trunk won't unlock, I have to pull the emergency latch. what causes this problem
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. When you press the button on the handle, do you hear anything (like a motor whirring)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't hear anything. I even put my ear to the hood as I hit the trunk unlock. I have to crawl in the back and pull the emergency latch unlock.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Okay, there are two common problems that can cause this. One is cracked wiring going to the switch. With the trunk open, you'll have to trace the wiring along the hinge. Try wiggling the harness while pressing the button to open the trunk. To make this easier, open the trunk and then use a screwdriver to manually latch the latch closed (without actually closing the trunk).

If there is a break, you may need to cut open the looming for the wires to check for and repair any broken wires.

Otherwise, the most likely cause is a bad switch. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it is a bad switch does this require a visit to dealership or can it be repaired by my husband.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

The switch can be replaced without a dealer- there is no programming. I believe it comes as part of the entire handle (with the license plate lights), but is not painted. I can check a better parts diagram tomorrow at work- the one I have at home is not the best. Its about $80 for the handle