FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

2003 Volvo s60 changed transmission fluid now car will not

Customer Question

2003 Volvo s60 changed transmission fluid now car will not stay in gear. Put it in drive - drive off and at 10 mph drops back to neutral sometimes can get to 40 before it drops back to neutral
Category: Volvo
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
Hello jacustomer, is the check engine light on? How was he fluid changed? Was it doing this before the car was serviced?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No car has 125,000 miles and figured it could use a fluid change it was fine before.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My son messed up "what is the solution for what he has done"?http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=107173&postcount=8
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any further advise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey did we go offline?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
You need to start by making sure that the fluid is full. If it is low then this will occur. Another thing to keep in mind is that the computer must be reset when new fluid is put into the vehicle. If this is not done then the vehicle will run this way.
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
If that bolt was removed, then you can have fluid that is at the perfect level and you can reset the adaptions all you want, it will not bring back third gear. There is no solution at this time from Volvo. They have a bulletin about this- the transmission must be rebuilt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just used Sonnax tip saved $1,200 fixed transmission for $300 versus $1,500 transmission rebuild. Works fine.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
What sonnax part did you use? It is impossible to fix without somehow having that anchor bolt put back in place holding the band...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well as the link recommended we took the anchor bolt out and had it tapped and used a new bolt in the hole we created, replaced the anchor bolt then reached through the hole we drilled and grabbed the band and tightened everything down put our new bolt in the hole in the anchor bolt. Works fine. I realize this is not a official solution but given the tip came from a Sonnax tech we thought is was worth a try and it was. Beat the heck out of a rebuilt transmission and it was a damn good tip. Volvo needs a big red sign on that bolt cause it sure looks like a transmission filler location.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
The link above only goes to an individual post, stating not to remove that bolt. It doesn't show any solution, which is why I was curious. Good to know, I will keep that in mind if I ever get a customer with the same problem. Glad you got it fixed without the rebuild, good luck!