Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

2000 volvo s40: timing belt..pully..in mornings check engen comes

Customer Question

i have 2000 volvo s40 timing belt was changed camshat pully was changed i still have problems when starting up in mornings check engen comes on code poo14 poo15
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. Was the special tool used to lock the cams and crank when replacing the CVVT hub?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i used the tool
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
And those are the only codes you get? Was the hub new?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i changed v v t control on valve cover timing belt .camshaft gear when the car is cold starting up start to shake i have to step on exalerator ton stay stedy for check engin not to come on
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Oh okay, so the codes did not return?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
coad returnd back
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Okay and were the parts new or used?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i used the special tool im still gating that problem onlly when the car is cold starts shacking showes misfire coil are new timing belt is new camshaft pully is new valve timing control is new
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Is the oil full and clean? How often do you change the oil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oil is clean i fushed the engin
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Did you flush it because of sludging?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thats what they told me to do
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Something is being missed here. Those codes mean the CVVT is off. Usually if the oil is full and clean, the first step is to replace the solenoid for the CVVT. If the codes return, the hub is replaced and that usually fixes it. I can't remember any where one of those two didn't fix it. If the tool was properly used (not just on the cams, but pinning the crank as well) and new parts were installed, I can't think of anything else this is likely to be. It could theoretically be a cam sensor but those are not common at all. I will opt out. If another expert has any ideas, they will be along with them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i like to aske you about the hub. you asked me if the hub was changed ,witch hub
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
The CVVT hub, which is part of the timing pulley
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi i codent get back to you i like to know wear is V V t located
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
I thought you replaced it already. The CVVT system has a control valve, mounted on top of the head and the actuator hub, which is the camshaft pulley.