Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

Volvo XC90 SRS Light Dashboard Fault

Hi, I have a Volvo XC90, 2005 which has developed an intermittant fault - whenever i make a right turn at a roundabout, the instruments on the binnacle freeze and then die and then come on again about 47 seconds later. Also at the same time the Passenger Airbag SRS light comes on as well. Any help much appreciated!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. It is common for the Driver Information Module, which is the instrument panel, to fail intermittently. It sounds like this may be your problem. A new one is quite costly, about $1400 US installed. But you can have yours rebuilt for less here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Andy, I thought it might be the DIM and am considering getting it re-manufactured by as I am UK based.

However, I got the local garage to turn off the Airbag light and pull the codes and what came up was this:

E001 Can data bus communication error
E003 Can data bus communication error
00E5 Seat occupied sensor passenger side signal improbable
00D5 Airbag warning lamp error detected

(After driving for half an hour I made a right turn, the DIM died for 47 seconds and then came back on, with the Airbag light on again)

What I want to know is if I get the DIM re-made, am I wasting money because its the Low Speed CAN at fault (or something else)?

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi David,
The DIM is part of the the low speed CAN, so it will set low speed CAN codes. That code for the SRS warning lamp is a common tell-tale sign of a bad DIM.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ahhh! Many thanks