Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

2001 Volvo S60 2.5T: left turn signal..intermittently..the rear bulbs

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Volvo S60 2.5T The left turn signal intermittently flashes bulb failure. I replaced the rear bulbs and checked the fuse. The problem still persists. In an article by Cick & Clack a woman had this same issue with a '99. They stated if the failure light comes on try the hazard lights and see if the failure light stays on. I did this and the light remained on. The bulbs are lighting because the signals do work intermittently. They stated it could be a relay switch. Any thoughts on this and where is this switch located?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. This is much more commonly caused by a bad front bulb socket. The socket and bulb should be replaced. I have seen this happen many times and have never needed to replace the switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I replace just the left side only? Is it difficult ? Is it something I could do?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
If it is just the left side having trouble, yes, I would suggest just that side. It isn't too bad if you remove the air filter housing. Pull out the air duct going to the air filter housing. Loosen the clamp for the air intake hose, disconnect the electrical connector for the mass air flow sensor. Unclip the turbo control valve and pull the air box up. Some force is needed. Remove the lid first if it helps. Then the bulb housing can be accessed. Twist it about one third of a turn counterclockwise and pull it out.