Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

2001 s60: defective passenger door..relay module resistor..thanx

Customer Question

have 2001 s60 defective passenger door module how to fix? replace relay module resistor?? replace part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN, which i think is a relay? module is in my hand thanx, mike
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
My name is Andy and I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. Hich relay is the one you want to replace?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

here's more info.

when car is started u hear a rapid "click, click, click" sound coming from the passenger door . this lasts from 2 to 15 minutes and seems to last longer the colder

the ambient temp is ie. 30 vs 45 degrees.

i googled and found that this is a very common problem with this s60. most people say it is a defective relay in the PDM=passenger door module. this makes sense as the symptoms change with temp and the side mirror temp sensor goes thru the module too. some people say it is a broken relay or relay module resistor. Groton has a part # 944 1158 for a relay of unknown location for 20$ . dealer wants $400 for whole module. no way

i took door panel off and removed the module. it has the power window switch and door lock switch on top. when disconnected, the clicking stops. i separated the top from the bottom of the module and i see 2 circuits boards, 1 on each half. i can remove the boards and send photo of them if this will help. i hope it is a defective relay and or resistor that i can remove and solder a new one in for a few bux. car belongs to daughter who heads back to college soon, many thanks, mike

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, well at the dealership, we don't disassemble and rebuild modules. The correct repair is replacement of the module. With the modules opened, can you see any relays soldered to the circuit board? If so, can you plug the module back in and see if that relay is the one that is clicking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i sent u email w 3 pics did u get them?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
We are unable to contact customers outside of this website. You can upload them here or email them to [email protected] with a link to this question. Then they will forward them to me.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
I received the pictures this morning. That relay number is not on that module. That relay is a plug in relay used for various circuits. The module needs to be replaced, it is fairly common.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not accept your help. I asked u to help me FIX my pdm not tell me to spend 400 bud for a new one which I already knew was an unacceptable solution. I did further investigation on A Volvo forum and found a way to fix it for 60 bux. Thanks for nothing Mike.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
We are not electrical engineers. When a module goes bad, we do not take them apart and repair circuit boards. I am sorry you do not like my answer, but there is no need to be insulting. Good luck with your car.