Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo XC90 2.5T Two things (1) loud grinding noise on low-speed

Customer Question

Two things: (1) loud grinding noise on low-speed turn to the right (as in parking garage); and (2) automatic window on driver side often reverses and closes itself at the bottom of the auto-open.

Just got this 2007 XC90, so within it's "free repairs for 30 days" at CarMax. I want to make sure everything is right before the time is up!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'll try to help, The loud grinding noise when turning to the right could be one of 2 things, I would suspect the right side outter cv joint, or the angle gear. Both can cause a noise, they are a little different noise, as the CV joint causes a "clack" "clack" clack" noise that's constant and in rhythm. angle gear is more of a grinding noise. You very possibly need a new drivers side window regulator. The regulators get worn, then the force is excessive on the motor, and the electronics perceive the extra force as something being rolled up in the window and rolls it back down, as a safety function. (such as if your arm or head was in the window when it was rolled up.) I would definitely get this vehicle back to car max before your 30 days is up. Volvo parts are expensive and that angle gear if it's bad could be thousands.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a bit more info for you - the grinding is definite grinding and not a cv clunk (heard that before!). it happened this morning on wet pavement in the garage, but did not happen when I test drove on dry pavement. any help?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
well, noises are so hard to determine through email as you can imagine. I have seen people put the wrong size tire on an XC 90 before and it's sensitive to that. Where the tire will rub in the fender well on hard turns. You can turn the wheel all the way to the right and go to the left side, look in the fender wheel and tire area for any signs of the tire hitting the body of the vehicle on sharp turns. I really can't think of anything without being able to hear the noise that should change from dry to wet pavement. thank you!