Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

volvo s40: 56,000 started squeeling..belt..check engine light is on.

My volvo s40 with 56,000 started squeeling at idle and it appears to be a belt. The check engine light is on. Can i get the diagnosis codes without going to a dealer? What might this be and is it time to change the timing belt and engine belt (serpentine)?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Andy :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question.

Andy :

Are you near the car now or can you go out to it to try something?

Customer:

yes i can

Andy :

Okay, start the car and let it run until the noise occurs. Then remove either the oil dipstick or the oil fill cap and see if the noise goes away

Customer:

i will be back in a few minutes...is this ok

Andy :

Yes, I will be here

Customer:

is there a step 2...to this process or will this nail it down?

Customer:

just asking to see if i can do a couple things while im out there

Andy :

If you could write the VIN down while you are out there, I may need it. But I'm pretty sure this will nail it down

Customer:

As expected, it is not making the noise at this time

Customer:

What does it mean if the noise goes away when the dip stick is removed?

Andy :

Well those cars had problems with a diaphragm in the oil filter housing deteriorating and causing suction in the engine to make that noise

Andy :

When you remove the dipstick or oil cap, it stops the noise because the engine can suck in more air

Andy :

Volvo has an extended warranty on the filter housing, did you get oyur VIN? I can run it to make sure your car is eligible

Customer:

it is eligible...i remember getting a warranty notice from volvo concerning this issue now that you mention it

Andy :

Ah okay

Andy :

Well it sounds like thats likely your problem, in which case the repair would be free

Customer:

Would it be safe to drive 4 hours home to my home dealership?

Andy :

Yes, it isn't a safety concern

Customer:

And it won't mess up the engine?

Andy :

No. The check engine light is on because air is being drawn in that isn't accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. The ECM compensates for this to a point, but when it reaches its limit, it sets the light

Andy :

So your fuel mileage won't be as good as it should be, but it won't damage anything

Customer:

Cool...I want to read over our conversation to digest what you are telling me....will all our chat remain on the screen even after I hit ACCEPT?

Customer:

Thanks so much Andy!

Andy :

I'm not sure how it works on your end. You can copy and paste it into a word processor to print it if you'd like

Customer:

if it is not this, what would be the 2nd problem?

Andy :

Well without hearing the noise, I couldn't say for sure. I have seen a couple belt tensioners make noise only when cold

Andy :

But that is not anywhere near as common as the oil filter housing

Customer:

OK..cool

Customer:

Last question,,,,this is my first volvo; i have heard different opinions as to their quality. YOu seem very knowledgeable, do you think volvo's live up to their reputation as being a very dependable car?

Customer:

My neighbor just got rid of her

Andy :

Well, I don't work on competitor cars, so I can't speak directly for their reliability. And also, some Volvos are more reliable than others

Customer:

....of her volvo and it only had 160,000 miles and they spent a lot of money on it!

Andy :

The 2004.5 and later S40 has been pretty reliable

Customer:

Good news....thanks for your time and expertise....have a good evening

Andy :

No problem, good luck

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1